Alex was laid off this week. That makes two of us now. Although it's a pretty stressful place to be, I can't help but have optimism, and I'm trying really, really hard to enjoy the benefits of a little unexpected time off:
1. I am exercising. OK, not as much as I'd like, but more than before. And working out at say 2pm, is much less hectic than the 5pm onslaught of the after-work folk. Dog walking is getting me the fresh air and exercise I could never get from a cubicle.
2. We are eating healthier. 3 square meals a day! Forget about our beer and poutine dinner last night - it was a "special occasion". Alex is finishing up the month at work, but he was home with a chest cold yesterday, and we were able to enjoy our usual weekend breakfast on a Wednesday! I made up the most amazing smoothie and perfected it even further this morning (see recipe below).
[ wednesday's breakfast! ]
[ lebanese inspired dinner! ]
3. I am sleeping. A lot. Maybe more than I need to. Getting back into the grind will be tough when it actually happens...
4. I get to spend all day with my babies. And, they are benefiting from a stay-home mom and plenty of sunshine.
5. My "soap". So, not so much a soap; more like a primetime drama turned afternoon drama. ER. Yes, I know, I am so 1996. Whatever. The show started strong but sucked after George Clooney and Noah Wyle left - true, I'll give you that. But really, it was having its second wind in the last few seasons! Yes, I'm watching re-runs, but they're new to me (holy crap, Dr.Pratt died today!). It's my "sick day" show that I now get to indulge in everyday! I know I said I'm not watching TV, but I'm trying to align this 2pm guilty pleasure with my workout. It didn't happen today. Maybe tomorrow.
Dayna's Mean Green Smoothie
1 big handful of baby spinach (don't be shy)
1 tsp Matcha powder
1 tsp Matcha powder
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup orange juice
3 - 4 ice cubes
1 tsp honey (or to taste)
Throw all ingredients into a blender with an ice-crusher setting and blend well. Slowly add more soy milk or water if mixture is too thick. This is an easy way to get your greens, if you're tired of salads. Variation: Replace orange juice with water and add 2-3 drops of pure essential oil of peppermint!