Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Forever 31?


Toronto earned it's very own Forever 21 a couple of years ago (in the old Gap location at Yonge and Dundas). I should have been happy. Like when H&M came to town and I lined up at Fairview Mall to get first dibs. But somehow the name - Forever 21 - was foreboding. How could I, a "woman" a decade older than 21 really show my face in the shop? I felt like a bloody geriatric. 

But, when Halloween came around this year, and my quest for red short-shorts and thigh-highs came up short, I caved. If any shop was going to carry what I needed (at a decent price), it would be Forever 21. 

Well, they didn't. I elbowed my way through impossibly young and thin girls grabbing at insanely cheap minis and platforms and costume jewellery, and still I didn't find what I was looking for. I felt irritable and conspicuous. But when I came upon an adorable navy and red striped jersey skirt for $8, my heart jumped. 


A couple of years back, while gainfully employed, I started to limit my spending on cheap, trendy pieces when I realized that I was just throwing away money on things that didn't last. My new strategy was investment pieces: quality craftsmanship, classic silhouettes, trustworthy brands and easy-care fabrics. But while my wardrobe budget is in the dumps (read: $0), an under-$10 find like this skirt was too good to pass up. I need to inject a little dough into my closet, just to avoid feeling like a complete bum (and, like SO last season). I bought it, sans guilt.

I've already been back to Forever 21 again. I picked up a grey jersey top, a wooden heart pendant necklace, a chunky ring  and another stripey mini (this time in taupe and green). Total outfit cost: $34. 


I know they won't last forever, but it feels good to be able to shop even when I'm verging on broke. I am rediscovering thrift stores, H&M, and Joe fresh. And I may have another new go-to, if I can get over feeling like a senior citizen every time I shop.

I do have one request, though, please: can the creators please consider a spin-off brand? Forever 31 has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? (Annnd, if I had to be one age forever, I'd for SURE pick 31 over 21.)


p.s. I've been doing a TON of fashion coverage for blogTO these days. Check out my work here.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, I love your style. Take me shopping and let's make me as good looking as you! LOVE this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an H&M shirt that I have been wearing for OVER 10 YEARS! I bought it on my first trip to NYC when I 18, wore it on my first day of my undergraduate degree (so it was in my ID picture that followed me around for 4 years), and still wear it to work sometimes. I'm just saying... it's not always throwaway fashion! Sometimes you luck out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bright Smile - absolutely agree! I was being overly generalist, wasn't I? :) I have this amazing tunic that I bought at H&M 4 years ago, as well. I get a zillion compliments on it. It was $29. I think the key is to look for things that have fashion longevity (ie. not too trendy) and are made of durable/washable fabrics. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete